Whether you are a DJ, singer-songwriter or working with film, a quality audio editing tool is essential to deliver a professional and polished audio clip.
The internet is full of audio editing tools and it can be hard to choose the right one that not only fits your needs, but your pocket as well. Below is a list of some of the best audio editing tools available out there today, as well as a couple of the features that make each tool stand out from the rest
- WavePad Sound Editor : WavePad Sound Editor is a great audio editing tool which allows you to edit voice audio, music and other audio recordings. This tool allows copy, cut and paste functionality and you are also able to add awesome sound effects such as amplification, and echo. Another great plus is that WavePad Sound Editor features a noise reduction functionality.
File formats supported: flac, vox, ogg, au, aif, mp3, real audio and gsm
- Audacity : Audacity is a simple and easy to use audio editing tool. It is a free, open source, cross-platform editing tool for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems, and has been around for quite some time. This tool is ideal for removing noise from your playlist or set and normalizing the volume. It is also a great tool for DJs looking to put those final, polishing touches on a playlist. It also has the cut, copy and paste functionality and you are able to add a couple of sound effects such as echo.
File formats supported: mp3, aiff, wav, ogg, flac, au and mpeg audio.
- Pro Tools 10 : Specifically designed for recording music as well as composing, it is also excellent with editing and mixing music. This audio editing software allows you to mix different file formats and even add a couple of sound effects. It has also been around for a while and, this newest update can be a bit on the pricy side. There are also plugins available to further extend the software’s effect capabilities.This software is indeed a studio-grade audio editing tool. Before buying this software, try out the 30 day Free Trial version first. Download it on Avid’s site.
File formats supported: wav, aiff among many others.
- Reaper : Reaper is a DAW – Digital Audio Workstation. A great audio editing tool, Reaper has flexible functionality and is specifically designed to help you edit as effortlessly as possible. Reaper is praised for supporting wide variety audio interfaces. It also supports a number of plugins, upping its functionality. Designed to record music or create music entirely with your PC, Reaper is a great audio editing tool and a must if you need powerful and serious editing software.
File formats supported: wav, ogg and aiff among others
- Adobe Audition : This audio editing tool supports multiple platforms and is designed to edit, splice, remix and restore audio. It is also easy to master and has a host of great features. You are able to mix multiple tracks and add some effects to your recordings. Its user friendly interface combined with a high performance audio editing engine, makes Adobe Audition a perfect audio editing tool if you are looking for professional tools and excellent finishes.File formats supported: aiff, mp3, mov, wav and bwf among others
- Ableton Live : Alberton Live is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) praised because of its professional features. It is a powerful tool that is great for both recording and writing music. It had features such as Track Freeze, Multi-track recording and multiple automation lanes.
File formats supported: wav, aiff, mp3, plac and ogg Vorbis among others.